These banana chocolate chip muffins are perfection: moist, sweet and chocolaty! It’s quick and easy to whip up a batch.
Got a few extra dark bananas ripening in the fruit bowl? Try this Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe! These are pretty darn perfect, and we’re not quite sure how to describe the magic. Moist and sweet, they’re vanilla scented with just the right hint of cinnamon and pure sweetness from the banana. They’re studded with rich chocolate chips, then topped off with a glittering sprinkle of crunchy sugar. There’s a total “wow” factor, but the recipe is straightforward and simple. Ready to meet your soulmate muffin?
Ingredients in banana chocolate chip muffins
Muffins are simple creatures: an easy baked good that features good old flour, sugar and eggs. But there are a few tricks we use in our muffin batters to ensure moist, delicious muffins through the full storage time. Here’s what you’ll need for these banana chocolate chip muffins:
- All-purpose flour
- Cinnamon and ginger: provide just the right cozy, nuanced flavor
- Baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil: oil makes extremely moist muffins (plus, you don’t have to melt butter!)
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Turbinado sugar: this chunky sugar makes a lovely glittery topping
Tips for banana chocolate chip muffins
Banana chocolate chip muffins are quick and straightforward to make. Here are a few tips before you get started:
- Ripe bananas are key. The riper and blacker the better! This is essential to the intense tropical banana flavor and overall sweetness and moistness.
- Quality chocolate tastes even better! Use either semi sweet or bittersweet. We used large chocolate chips here, which add a decadent richness.
- Resist the urge to overmix. Overmixing muffin batter causes holes in the crumb and a denser texture. Mix just until the streaks of flour disappear.
- Baking at 400 degrees makes a taller muffin. After experimenting for years, our favorite temperature for baking muffins is 400 degrees Fahrenheit (versus 350 which is standard). It makes a taller and fluffier muffin: and it’s quicker to bake!
What’s the best way to store these banana chocolate chip muffins? Here are the best practices for muffin storage:
- Up to 4 days: Store at room temperature in a sealed container. (If you’d like, you can place a paper towel inside to absorb extra moisture and keep the tops crunchier, but it’s not required.)
- 1 week or more: These muffins store well in the refrigerator as well! Let them sit out at room temperature for a few minutes before eating.
- 3 months: Freeze in a sealable container and store up to 3 months.
Banana muffins variations
Want other types of banana chocolate chip muffins? We’ve got ’em! Make them up healthy, go for double chocolate, or pick from special diets: